Sunday, September 30, 2007

Downplaying Job Hopping

I read an article on how to downplay job hopping on your resume. This article caught my eye because I have had many jobs for short periods of time due to school and demands on my schedule beyond the importance of part-time jobs. I have always wondered if these circumstances would affect my selection for a job. I have been worried that my work history might appear as though I have a low commitment to my job.

This article tells you to downplay these short work periods in several ways on your resume. It tells you to summarize yourself as well as your employment experience, focus on skills over tenure, and emphasize increases in responsibility so that it appears that your work changes were worth it.

I appreciated this article because its tips did sound like they would be a creative rewording of something that could perhaps give you a disadvantage in the job selection process. However, I am not sure how much it actually applies to me after reading it. I feel like it was meant more for those who are changing jobs within their career field as opposed to insignificant part-time jobs as a teenager. Thinking this way makes me wonder if my own job hopping will truly have an effect on my career or not.

No comments: