Sunday, September 23, 2007

Acing a Phone Interview

I decided to read this article because I am planning to acquire a job far away from home, which may make a face-to-face interview problematic. It was a helpful by describing four concise points that are important for succeeding in the phone interview.

It had some pretty surprising information, though. I was wondering why the number one phone distraction would be flushing toilets. Who goes to the bathroom while they are having a phone interview? I also did not understand why anyone would eat while they were having a phone interview.

I had never thought about preparing in advance and taking notes to use in an interview. I had always considered the fact that it is good to do your homework before any interview. But, that makes me think that there is a huge advantage to having a phone interview. It would be so much easier to sound credible and knowledgeable for the job. Also, I found it interesting that a follow-up letter is positive for a phone interview. I never thought it would be as formal as a face-to-face interview in that respect. I will definitely be able to use these hints to make a positive impact on a future interview.

There was not anything I particularly disagreed with. Although, I was concerned that it could be a large problem using a cell phone in the interview. I do not use a land line for anything, and I am aware that many do not use them at all, too. I understand that signal problems and such are not good for interview communication, but in the modern, technologically driven world, it seems that use of cell phones for all phone conversation is common. That made this tip somewhat disconcerting.

No comments: