Sunday, November 18, 2007

Interviews and dislikes

After reading the article I am actually jealous of the people who have been through interviews like that. I've always thought the traditional interview process was too rigid and formal. I've also always thought that I am successful in interviews because I can present myself well, rather than being successful because of my skills and abilities. So, a creative process such as the one about playground equipment makes sense. It takes a psychological perspective to interviewing in combination to the face to face perspective.

I, however, do not agree that in all jobs everyone should get along. In creative environments, I've found even in school, people tend to do better when they have someone to compete with. Most of the time a person is not threatened competitively by someone they like. Yes, liking some people is important, but it is human nature to dislike some people. In the situations where it really matters, the dislike is generated from an inner jealousy of their abilities over yours. Annoying people, I do not believe, are a great downfall in the professional world because everyone has had to deal with "that guy" that no one likes their entire lives. This can be overcome by ignoring the problem. Strong dislikes generate competition.

No comments: