Sunday, November 11, 2007

Dual Coding Theory


When thinking about dual coding theory, the most prevalent examples I could come up with all included alcohol ads. One might think of Corona ads, where the beer is associated with the beach and therefore its refreshing taste. I've noticed that many organizations use sexual appeal to sell their product, whether it be targeted to men or women. Those generally targeted to men (Budweiser, Miller, Captain Morgan, etc.) tend to have a more illustrious look, while those to be marketed more toward women I feel have a more elegant look. The ad on the right is for Bailey's Irish Cream, and I think this is targeted to either sex but using the lust and attraction to associate the smooth elegance of the product. Using sex to sell is probably one of the most extreme ways to use dual coding theory, but seeing it that way makes it easier to understand the topic, I think.

No comments: